Sweet Day Core Values and Beliefs
We seek to be a committed, engaged and inspired organization that is enriched by it’s community of families. Our school’s philosophy draws inspiration from the teachings of Reggio Emilia, Magda Gerber, Montessori and constructivism. We place great emphasis on the child’s own ability to direct learning. Our teachers are trained to support and scaffold the children’s interest, and to meet them where they are at developmentally; providing opportunities and inspiration for continual growth.
We follow the values and beliefs set forth by the early childhood organization NAEYC, and uphold these values and beliefs in all our interactions and initiatives:
• Appreciate and cherish childhood for it’s value and wonder, for the child, and for our families and community.
• Base our work using knowledge and research of how children develop and learn.
• Support the bond between the child and family.
• Recognize that children are best understood and supported in the context of family, culture, community, and society.
• Respect the dignity, worth, and uniqueness of each individual (child, family member, and colleague).
• Respect diversity in children, families, and colleagues.
• Recognize that children and adults achieve their full potential in the context of relationships that are based on trust and respect.
• “Excellence in Early Childhood Education” To routinely seek out new knowledge in our industry and to hold ourselves accountable to the highest Standards of Care for the State of Oregon.
• “Transparency” To act with openness and clarity to our families and community.
• “Reflection” To review past performance, through reviews and documentation, to note progress and successes, and engage in continuous quality improvement.
• “Community” To engage our school’s community as active partners, and draw upon their talents and knowledge to enrich the lives of our children.
• “Sweet Day Philosophy” We strive to focus on the quality of day-to-day interactions with children, and to create rich, engaging, and meaningful moments. We ask our teachers to recommit every morning to provide each of our children at Sweet Day Community School a safe, and inspired day.